UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALTIMORE COUNTY

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS


[photo, Albin O. Kuhn Library, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Catonsville, Maryland] In 1963, legislation authorized the University of Maryland to establish a campus at Catonsville in Baltimore County (Chapter 537, Acts of 1963; Code Education Article, sec. 13-104 (f)). The University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) opened its doors to its first freshmen in September 1966. In 1988, the University became part of the University of Maryland System (Chapter 246, Acts of 1988). The System was renamed University System of Maryland in 1997 (Chapter 114, Acts of 1997).

Albin O. Kuhn Library, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Catonsville, Maryland, April 2003. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


The University of Maryland Baltimore County is the doctoral research institution for the greater Baltimore region. Undergraduates may choose from 44 majors and 41 minors in engineering, humanities, information technology, mathematics, physical and biological sciences, social and behavioral sciences and visual and performing arts. Thirty-six master's degree, twenty-four doctoral degree, and seventeen graduate certificate programs are offered in education, emergency health services, engineering, gerontology, information technology, the liberal arts and humanities, modern languages, the natural sciences and mathematics, public policy, social sciences and the visual arts.


[photo, Fine Arts Building, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Catonsville, Maryland]

COLLEGE OF ARTS, HUMANITIES & SOCIAL SCIENCES

1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250

The College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences originated as the College of Arts and Sciences, and reformed under its present name in July 2005.

Fine Arts Building, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Catonsville, Maryland, April 2003. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING & INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY

1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250

The College of Engineering and Information Technology was founded in 1985 as the College of Engineering under the supervision of the University of Maryland College Park. In 1993, it was established as an independent college within the University of Maryland Baltimore County. Computer Science transferred to the College of Engineering from the College of Arts and Sciences in 1995, and the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering was added in 2001. The College of Engineering became the College of Engineering and Information Technology in September 2004.

Four departments make up the College: Chemical, Biochemical and Environmental Engineering; Computer Science and Electrical Engineering; Information Systems; and Mechanical Engineering.

COLLEGE OF NATURAL & MATHEMATICAL SCIENCES

1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250

The College of Natural and Mathematical Sciences began as the College of Arts and Sciences, and reorganized under its present name in July 2005.

DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL WORK

1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250

The Department of Social Work is affiliated with the University of Maryland School of Social Work and provides the baccalaureate-level social work education of the School. The Department began in 1969 as a program of sociology and social work under the Division of Social Sciences at University of Maryland Baltimore County. In 1971, sociology and social work were separated and, in 1988, the Department of Social Work became an independent unit.

ERICKSON SCHOOL

5523 Research Park Drive, Baltimore, MD 21228

The Erickson School formed in 2004 as the Erickson School of Aging Studies and received its present name in 2007. The School is named after John and Nancy Erickson, founders of the Baltimore-based Erickson foundation and benefactors of the School. The School offers undergraduate and graduate programs in aging services and certificates in seniors' housing administration.

GRADUATE SCHOOL

1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250

The Graduate School traces to the joint University of Maryland Graduate School, Baltimore, which offered graduate courses to students enrolled at the University of Maryland Baltimore County and the University of Maryland at Baltimore. The Graduate School was established in 1996.

In the natural and social sciences, engineering, public policy, and arts and humanities, the Graduate School offers 36 masters degree programs, 24 doctoral degree programs, and 17 graduate certificate programs.

University System of Maryland
Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us


This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright September 29, 2015 Maryland State Archives