1633. William Claiborne opened trading post on Palmers Island (now Watson's Island) near mouth of Susquehanna River.
1660. Bohemia Manor established by Augustine Herrman (c. 1621-1686).
1663. Augustine Herrman, first naturalized citizen of Maryland.
1670. Authoritative map of Maryland (engraved, London, 1673) completed by Augustine Herrman.
1674. Cecil County erected from Baltimore and Kent counties by proclamation of Governor, named for Cecilius Calvert, 2nd Lord Baltimore, and founder of Maryland colony.
1683. Labadist community settled at Bohemia Manor.
1692. First Courthouse built at Oldtown.
1695. Lower Susquehanna Ferry established at Perryville.
1717. Courthouse constructed at Courthouse Point.
Deck cannon made by Principio Iron Furnace (Cecil County), Havre de Grace Decoy Museum, 215 Giles St., Havre de Grace, Maryland, June 2015. Photo by Sarah A. Hanks.
1742. Charlestown incorporated.
1744. West Nottingham Academy founded by Samuel Finley near Colora.
"James Rumsey's Boat" memorial, commemorating 1787 launching of first steamboat on Potomac River at Shepherdstown, Virginia, by James Rumsey (born in Cecil County, Maryland), October 2007. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
1765, May. Surveyors Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon reached Susquehanna River.
1774, Jan. 31. Thomas W. Veazey (1774-1842), Governor of Maryland, born near Earleville.
1776, Aug. Maryland Flying Camp moved through Head of Elk on route to New York.
1776, Sept. 16. Eastern Shore Battalion of Flying Camp fought under Colonel William Richardson at Battle of Harlem Heights.
1777, Aug. 27. British fleet and troops under Gen. William Howe (1729-1814) landed at Elk River, encamped at Elkton, on route to Philadelphia.
1778. Capt. Michael Rudolph captured British Man-of-War, blocking Charlestown port.
1781, April 12. Lafayette's Army encamped near Calvert.
1781, Sept. 6-7. Gen. George Washington and Comte de Rochambeau's combined forces encamped at Elkton on route to Yorktown.
1781, Sept. 10. Rochambeau's Artillery moved south through Conowingo on route to Yorktown.
1787. Head of Elk is incorporated as Elkton.
1792. Courthouse at Elkton completed.
1813. British fleet sailed to Elkton; fighting at Fort Defiance.
1813, April 29. Frenchtown burned by British troops under Admiral George Cockburn.
1813, May 3. Havre de Grace and Principio Furnace burned by British troops.
1824. Port Deposit incorporated.
1824-1829. Chesapeake and Delaware Canal constructed through Cecil County to link Chesapeake Bay with Delaware River.
1831. New Castle and Frenchtown Railroad linked Cecil County to Delaware.
1832, March 5. Baltimore and Port Deposite Rail Road chartered.
1838, April 4. James Black Groome (1838-1893), Governor of Maryland, born at Elkton.
1849. Chesapeake City incorporated.
1850. North East incorporated.
1860. Rising Sun incorporated.
1860, May 17. Austin Lane Crothers (1860-1912), Governor of Maryland, born near Conowingo.
1861, April. Union troops at Perryville, Havre de Grace, and Elkton.
1861, May. Union troops at Chesapeake City, North East, Charlestown, Perryville, Havre de Grace, and Elkton.
1864. Cecilton incorporated.
1882. Perryville incorporated.
1894. Tome School for Boys opened at Port Deposit.
1928. Conowingo Dam began operation on the lower Susquehanna River, spanning the border between Cecil and Harford counties.
1940, Dec. Susquehanna River Toll Bridge opened, linking Cecil and Haford counties.
1941. Route 40 ran through Cecil County, linking Baltimore with Delaware.
Courthouse, 129 East Main St., Elkton, Maryland, March 2000. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
1943. Explosion at Elkton ammunition factory killed fifteen workers.
1954, July 31. First Cecil County Fair held at Fair Hill.
1964, June. County public schools desegregated.
1965. I-95 ran through Cecil County, connecting Baltimore and Wilmington.
1968. Cecil Community College opened.
1969. Wilmington Area Planning Council created for region including Cecil County, Maryland, and New Castle County, Delaware.
1986. Susquehanna River Toll Bridge renamed Thomas J. Hatum Memorial Bridge.
2002, June. Ripken Stadium opened at Aberdeen.
2002, June 18. Aberdeen IronBirds affiliated with Baltimore Orioles and began playing at Ripken Stadium.
2003. Upper Shore Regional Council created.
2004, March 2. Electronic voting system used during primary elections at polling places and for absentee ballots in all counties and Baltimore City.
2007. Cecil Community College renamed Cecil College.
2010, Sept. 27. Hollywood Casino, the first gambling facility in Maryland with video lottery terminals [slot machines], opened at Perryville.
2010, Nov. 2. Cecil County voters adopted charter form of government with a County Executive and County Council.
2012, Dec. 3. Cecil County's first County Executive and County Council sworn in.
2012, Dec. 3-. Tari Moore (Republican), County Executive.
|| Search the Archives || Education & Outreach || Archives of Maryland Online ] Governor General Assembly Judiciary Maryland.Gov