1631. Kent Island trading post and farming settlement established by William Claiborne, member of Virginia Council.

1635. Proprietary vessels clashed with those of William Claiborne.

1642. Kent County first cited in records of commissioner appointments.

1679. By this date, Courthouse at New Yarmouth functioned on Eastern Neck.

1697/98. Kent County Court moved from New Yarmouth to first Courthouse at New Town (later Chestertown).

1706. Chestertown made a port of entry.

1720. Courthouse destroyed by fire, and rebuilt 1720-21.

1764, June-Sept. North-south line between Maryland and Pennsylvania (now Delaware) surveyed by Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon.

1774, May 23. In protest against tax on tea, Brigantine Geddes tea cargo thrown in Chester River at Chestertown.

1776. On Sloop of War Reprisal, Lambert Wickes (c.1735-1777) took Benjamin Franklin to France.

1782. Washington College (formerly Kent Academy) established at Chestertown.

1780, Nov. 9. At Emmanuel Church in Chestertown, a conference of clergy and laity first renamed the Church of England as the Protestant Episcopal Church.

1805. Chestertown incorporated.

1814, Aug. 31. Battle of Caulk's Field, Kent County.

1858. Galena incorporated.

[photo, Kent County Courthouse, 103 Cross St., Chestertown, Maryland] 1860. Third Courthouse erected at Chestertown.

1863, April 17. John Leeds Barroll, newspaper publisher, arrested at Chestertown by Union soldiers for publishing article deemed treasonous.

1877. Tolchester Beach Amusement Park opened by Tolchester Steamboat Company.

Kent County Courthouse, 103 Cross St., Chestertown, Maryland, October 2006. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.

1890. Millington incorporated.

1892, May 17. James Taylor lynched in Chestertown.

1906. Betterton incorporated.

1908. Rock Hall incorporated.

1908. At Still Pond, three women, Maryland's first women voters, cast ballots in municipal election.

1914, Dec. 11. William (Swish) Nicholson (1914-1996), National and American League baseball player, born in Chestertown.

1962. Eastern Neck National Wildlife Refuge established as a sanctuary for migratory birds.

1962, Feb. 3. Freedom Riders reached Chestertown.

1963, July. Bi-Racial Committee formed by Board of County Commissioners to seek voluntary integration of public accomodations, and other goals.

1963, Aug. Bi-Racial Committee renamed Racial Relations Committee.

1967. County public schools desegregated.

2004, March 2. Electronic voting system used during primary elections at polling places and for absentee ballots in all counties and Baltimore City.

Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance

Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual

This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright September 29, 2015 Maryland State Archives